North Korea has confirmed that it carried out a third nuclear weapons test on Tuesday, in defiance of United Nations warnings.
The announcement confirms the suspicions of South Korea, who broke the news of the nuclear test this morning after detecting unusual seismic activity.
The secretive communist government of North Korea carried out a test explosion of a “miniaturised” nuclear device, which proceeded in a “perfect manner”, said its leaders in Pyongyang.
“It was confirmed that the nuclear test that was carried out at a high level in a safe and perfect manner using a miniaturized and lighter nuclear device with greater explosive force than previously did not pose any negative impact on the surrounding ecological environment,” said a statement aired on the KCNA state news agency.
North Korea had announced its intentions to carry out a third nuclear weapons test in advance. The announcement was made in late January in response to a UN resolution last month which tightened international sanctions and condemned the countries nuclear weapons programme.
The UN has previously warned of “significant consequences” if the hermit state went ahead with the test, and today UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon described the test as a “clear and grave violation” of United Nations Security Council Resolution.